Monday, November 15, 2010

The Power of Song

We all know the Battle Hymn of the Republic, right? We all associate it -- and correctly -- with the War of Northern Aggression. We see it in a whole lot of church hymnals, but is it Christian? Why not go here to see another perspective: 
http://www.lewrockwell.com/vance/vance84.html

Then there's some songs that are just too fun. Alabama has been pumping out the music for 30 years or more. Every album/LP/EP/Tape/CD they ever put out had top 10 hits and many were number ones. Yet for all their musical genius, they never gave in to PC-ism and never repudiated their roots. Here's a great video you can watch over on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzUOBu8wbhI

As an Independent Sacramental Christian, I have spent a great deal of time thinking about my faith. One of the things that has often come to mind is the hymns that I sing. I used to love "In the Garden." But when I stopped to think about the content of the lyrics, I was astonished that I had ever sang it. There was no theological content whatever. It was entirely subjective and was nothing more than a feel-good "Jesus is my buddy" kind of song. There are others like it, but there are some that are full of solid biblical content, often quoting the Bible directly. Many of the Psalms have been rediscovered by modern composers as a source of inspiration.

In the same way, Southrons should take care of the music we sing. What you sing is something that you will come to accept as part of you and your world view. Songs with lyrics are so often artistic representations of our world-view and our sense of reality. As a Southron, I will not sing Yankee songs and mindlessly "patriotic" songs. When I hear Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA," I sing along, but I change the words to say, "God bless the CSA." I once parodied the Oak Ridge Boys with "Confederate Made." 

Just food for thought. Keep singing, but make it mean something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment